Print

History of the Castle Street Hospital for Women

 

1940

Dr S L Nawarathna and Sir Nicholas Attygalle proposed second women’s hospital to serve suburbs of Colombo

1947

The construction of the hospital started.

On 11th December 1950, first patient was admitted to the hospital

On 15th December 1950 at 9.30 am first girl baby was born

Initially there were six wards and one labour room in the hospital.

 Old castle

There were one Obstetrician and one Resident Medical Officer with two House Officers. Further, there was one Matron with three Nursing Officers and three midwives and fifteen pupil midwives were helping them. The hospital also consisted two apothecaries and few subordinates.

From 11th  December to 31st December 1950, there were 53 admissions and 23 deliveries

1952

P B U was opened. During this period there were 3567 deliveries per year.

1954

Second stage of the development plan of the hospital started

1955

Second VOG was appointed to the hospital.

Gynaecology unit was started (two wards)

Two operating theatres were opened

1958

Hospital was included in the Colombo Group of Hospitals.

1960

Five Obstetrics and Gynaecology unit started with five consultants.

1964

Upgraded to a teaching hospital. An ICU was started functioning.

Auditorium and a library were opened for training purposes. 

2000

Quality program started with the concept of “Quality Fails when System Fails’ and ‘Quality Health Care through Productivity’.

new castle

Establishment of Lactation Management Center

2003

Identified as the Focal Point for National Quality Assurance Program

2004

Hospital recognized the importance of Human Resource Management and established a separate unit for staff training

2005

Opening of new Operating Theatre for Caesarian Sections only

2006

New Intensive care unit for neonates was opened

2009

New quarters for Medical officers was opened.

IMG 1047

2010

Work on new OPD building started

2015

New Clinic building was opened 

 

Saturday the 23rd. Developed by Health Information Unit CSHW